Overhead Door Company of Cortland, Inc.™
(607) 753-0201 or (607) 275-3667
The History of the Overhead Door Company of Cortland, Inc.™
Our founder, G. Allan Marsted, first became associated with Overhead Door in 1931 when at the age of 21 he joined his father, George, and his brother Paul, at the Overhead Door Company of New York; a manufacturing plant founded by his father in 1924 and relocated to Cortland from Canastota in 1929. Over the course of the next 60 years Allan experienced every facet of the business from his early days typing shop orders to sales and general management, to building his own network of distributorships.
In 1951 he founded Genoa Farm Supplies, Inc. which specialized in the sales and service of agricultural machinery, tools and equipment including Massey-Ferguson tractors. With its office located in Genoa, sales were primarily directed at Cayuga and Cortland counties. During June of 1952, Allan entered into an agreement with Mr. George Ray to purchase the "stock in trade" of his "Overhead Door" distributorship. In October of that same year Genoa Farm Supplies became the Cortland County distributor of the Overhead Door Company of New York; and moved the offices and warehouse to 82 Cortland Street, Homer, New York. As sales grew, Allan began doing business as the "Overhead Door Sales Company" and in 1953 he expanded his territory into Tompkins County.
Having remained active in overseeing the operation of the factory Allan was chosen to manage the operation following his father's death in 1954. For the next 15 years he divided his time between the manufacturing plant and his distributorship. 1955 brought yet another name change for the distributorship. Having relocated the office and warehouse to larger quarters at 19 Squires Street in Cortland the company became known as "Cortland Overhead Door Sales". In 1964 Allan guided the Overhead Door Company of New York through a merger with Dallas based Overhead Door Corporation, at which time he was elected to the corporation's Board of Director's and also served them as a Vice President well past his retirement from the factory in 1969.
Leaving the factory in capable hands he devoted his full attention to his distributorship. His son Garry had joined the organization in 1966 as Vice President and Treasurer. Having ensured the company's future as a third generation family business and with sales increasing daily, Allan returned to his "roots" and moved the company one final time. In 1969 the "Overhead Door Company of Cortland, Inc." built their current offices and warehouse on what had been the site of the original Overhead Door Company of New York manufacturing plant - 33 Cleveland Street, Cortland, New York.
Still a young man at 60, Allan began acquiring a number of other distributorships in New York, including Syracuse (1969) and Binghamton (1972) which remain valuable divisions of the Overhead Door Company of Cortland, Inc. What started in 1952 as a four-employee operation in Cortland County has grown into an organization with three offices and over thirty employees serving all of Central New York. Sales include the full line of Overhead Door Corporation products; the full line of Pioneer Loading Dock Equipment; the full line of products from Goff's Enterprises; and the full line of products from Dynaco Entramatic.
Following Allan's retirement in 1990, ownership of the company was passed to his son Garry. Garry was joined by his son Greg in 1988, and daughter Victoria in 1993. Both Greg and Vickie are proud to be continuing the family business for a fourth generation and are committed to maintaining the high quality products and services that our customers deserve and have come to expect.
G. Allan Marsted
Our First Truck - 1924
Some of our Technicians in the 1950's
CLICK HERE FOR MORE HISTORIC PICTURES AND DOCUMENTS!
Overhead Door Corporation
Mobile | Full Site
Copyright © Overhead Door Company of Cortland, Inc.™ All Rights Reserved.
Overhead Door™ is a trademark and the Ribbon Logo is
a registered trademark of Overhead Door Corporation.